Friday, January 28, 2011

Home brewing with a green thumb

Want to give your love for home brewing a natural twist? Consider planting and growing your own hops. This member of the hemp family quite literally grows like a weed here in the midwest. All it needs is a lot of sun and a lot of space. For those of you who don't know this plant can grow in excess of 20 feet. My solution to this fast growing plant...

I mounted a pulley to the apex of my garage. A rope attached to a board with ropes going down to the base of my plants. When it comes time to harvest the hops I just lower the board down to ground level. Once the hops get growing you have to direct the plant by wrapping the feelers the plant puts out around the rope so it grows in the right direction.

For those of you who have never brewed with whole hop flowers, not just pellets, beware displacement, because the flowers occupy a lot more volume. Get out your larger brew kettles!

I get my rhizomes from Jerry at the Bluff Brew Haus in Dubuque, IA. If you live anywhere in the Dubuque area I highly recommend you check out  his store - he is a great guy and a great resource.

If there are any brewers out there with a green thumb with any tidbits to share on growing or using hops, please share with us here at PCSOBs.

No comments:

Post a Comment